Help with TEC and Rule Editor-plenty of details I hope

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Help with TEC and Rule Editor-plenty of details I hope
From: Philip_Guerra@TIVOLI.COM
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 1999 16:13:49 -0600
First of all, I know I will get this in Netview for NT V. 6.0, but I can't wait.
I am running Netview 5.1.2 for NT in my production environment.  I want to
forward events that are generated from a particular SmartSet (Collection for
those of you using the Unix version).  I installed Netview for Unix 5.1.2 on a
Sun Ultra10 in order to get the RuleBuilder so I could create the rule and move
it to the NT box.

So, I have a 2 node TMR one is the TMR and TEC server and the other node is the
Netview server.  Everything is running TME 3.6.1 and the Netview box is 5.1.2.
I have based what I want to accomplish from reading "The Managed View, Summer
1998, Vol 2, Issue 3" article "Achieving a Balanced NetView-to-TEC Interface:
Automating the Forwarding of NetView Events to the TEC."  All the steps are
pretty much there step for step.

I have created a rule to forward the netview enterprise trap for
node_up(IBM_NVNUP_EV) and node_down (IBM_NVNDWN_EV) to TEC if the trap is
received from a node that belongs to a Collection called CriticalServers.  I
built the Collection with the CollectionEditor and put in 6 specific nodes.

So in the rulebuilder gui, the rule looks like:

[Event Stream] --> [Trap Settings] --> [NV Collection Query] --> [Forward]

I have saved the rule and configured NetView to forward the events.  I even
setup a dynamic workspace using the new rule to monitor the events coming in to
NetView.  This isn't working.  I have physically remove the cable from the
interface and Netview tells me the node is down in the map, but not in the
dynamic workspace.

If I remove from the rule, the NV Collection Query, then I get events from all
nodes satisfying the trap in the dynamic workspace as well as my TEC console,
which at this point is many.

Regards,
Philip