NetView for NT and rulesets

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: NetView for NT and rulesets
From: Ray Schafer <schafer@tkg.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 21:43:00 -0600
Does anyone have any experience using rulesets for NT?

I have some that I am building on a RS/6000 with the ruleset editor, and
am having some difficulty getting them to work on NT.

The first one is a simple resolve ruleset that resolves an agent link
down trap with a link up trap.  The ruleset basically has the event
stream set to block.
The stream goes to two nodes:  both trap attributes: the top for link
down, the bottom for link up.
The link down trap goes to two nodes: forward and "pass on match"  (as
input 1).
The link up goes to the same "pass on match" as input 2.

The pass on match looks at Origin, and attribute 1 for the match within
1 minute.

The pass on match sends it to a reslove node.

That's it.  I run it from an nvevents screen as a ruleset in UNIX and it
works as expected:
I only see the link down trap and when the link up trap comes in within
a minute, the link down trap is resolved.

On NT, I tried using it as a filter in the event browser, and I get
nothing.  Not  a thing in the event browser even though I see plenty of
the traps I want to correlate.  If I try to register the ruleset with
nvcorrd, it causes it to crash when I get a link down event.

I can find no documentation on what nodes in a ruleset are supposed to
work on NT and which aren't.  It looks as though the filter is only
looking for traps with an origin of the ruleset, and I guess that
nvcorrd is supposed to generate these traps but can only do it if the
rulset is registered with it.  When I do, and I get an event, it crashes
nvcorrd.

Is this broken?  Does anyone have insight on how this is supposed to
work with NT?

--
Ray Schafer                   | schafer@tkg.com
The Kernel Group              | Distributed Systems Management