Re: Event logs limitation

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Event logs limitation
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 14:57:13 -0500
I hear what you are saying Joe,  and lots of people use a similar the mechanism
you describe in order to better manage keeping copies of old trapd.logs by
renaming them.  But I don't understand your claim that
      if either the file size is too small and/or the network has lots of
     traps for that day, (and/or if you rotate logs every 24 hrs) then it is
     possible that you could lose some logging information if that happens.

trapd keeps a count of every trap he writes and he adds the size in bytes to
what he has already written.  So as long as he handles the switching of
trapd.log to trapd.log.old, there is no way you can lose traps, because he won't
write the new one to the file until the old log has been switched.     But some
people have tried  to force a switch on a 24-hour boundary and that can cause a
problem if you are working with the actual trapd.log.   I recommend that people
let trapd switch the logs himself, and only mess with the trapd.log.old.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

Joe Stover <jstover@state.pa.us> on 11/18/99 02:20:21 PM

Please respond to jstover@state.pa.us