Re: Netview Backup and Hot-Standby Configuration

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Netview Backup and Hot-Standby Configuration
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 09:09:18 -0500
What you want to do, and what you may be able to reasonably do may not be the
same thing.  You will have to decide what to do and how to do it.  Notice that
there is nothing in the NetView manuals about moving databases from one machine
to another, because that is not supported (too many ways it can be messed up and
we have no way to fix it).

1.  You can always minimize polling on your backup by simply stopping netmon.
Then no polling occurs.
But understand that when netmon restarts, he will first load the entire topology
database and then start his daily config checks.  So don't wait  until the last
minute to restart him, or you will not have your regular status polling restart
right away.
An alternative might be to use only the global default settings for polling and
set the intervals to be very long, like once an hour.  Then you can change them
as soon as you need them.

2.  It is NOT TRUE that reset_ci and mapadmin are only used on the same subnet.
They MUST ALWAYS BE USED.   Your choice of moving to a different subnet does not
affect that.  We recommend that NetView backup remains on the same subnet, that
is true, because the farther away you move from the original spot, the more your
map changes.  NetView's home box is always the "center of the universe".   I
have seen people move to a different subnet only to find that because of routing
difficulties, they have less visibility than before, and suddenly more of the
network starts turning red than on the box they left.
But if you are on a different subnet, then why move the databases at all?  You
can get that one right and then just reduce the polling interval and have a hot
backup rather than a standby.

3.  7X24 notwithstanding, if you copy the databases while netmon and snmpCollect
are writing to it, then it may become corrupted.  If that happens there is no
way to fix it and you have just lost the entire reason for doing this in the
first place.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

"SZEWCZYK, Jack" <jszewczyk@WESTPAC.COM.AU> on 11/21/99 10:46:22 PM