Re: 3COM Corebuilder 3500 traps

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: 3COM Corebuilder 3500 traps
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 23:13:13 -0500

I would expect that all three traps are possible independantly, and you
are only getting all three because you are pulling the power supply. In
real life you are more likely to get just one of them. So to be able to
react
to an individual trap, yet ignore the extras when it's just you pulling the
power
you probably ought to use either a Netview ruleset or a T/EC rule to close
out more than one of the three from the same node in a short interval. I
have
no idea how to design such a rule, I just know that some devices can tell
you about a variety of power-related conditions.

The first thing you need to do is use xnmtrap to modify these traps so that
they
each say something different than just "a power supply has failed"  -- have
them
display whatever variable makes them unique.

I am puzzled that you want to send all three traps to TEC but display only
one,
but that is your choice.  You have several options.  You can build a filter
or
build a ruleset to use with the display, or you could make all three traps
"Log
Only" and build a ruleset to catch one or more of them, and then in action
node,
use snmptrap to create your own custom trap which says just what you want,
and
have that display in the event window and get sent to TEC.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

Drew Van Order <dvanorder@DTTUS.COM> on 12/07/99 09:35:45 PM

NetView