Best way to limit discovery

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Best way to limit discovery
From: "Brunke, Jim (FUSA)" <JimBrunke@FIRSTUSA.COM>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 23:47:57 -0500
We are building a Netview server which will exclusively manage routers,
switches and hubs on our network - and I need some advice on the best way to
setup for initial discovery.

We have build a seedfile which contains an entry for each our routers &
switches.  The first 5 address of a subnet is reserved for router interfaces
so we limit discovery of other nodes in the network (servers and
workstations) by excluding all other addresses, ie:

!167.85.*.6-254
!168.118.*.6-254

One problem is that we do not have a well defined list of IP addresses for
all of the hubs on the network.  They are a combination of Cisco and Bay
hubs.  Could I also add two @OID entries into the seedfile to discover these
nodes?  I know if you list an snmp reachable IP address in the seedfile, it
will ignore the ! range exclusion and discover the node.  Does the @OID work
similarly?

Thanks, in advance