Re: Best way to limit discovery

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Best way to limit discovery
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1999 20:14:33 -0500
My experience with this has been different. If you also have the negative
address range, you do NOT get stub objects for nodes in those ranges.
The stubs are created for things that might change into something that
is supposed to be discovered, and those stubs are repolled periodically.
Nodes with addresses in the excluded range are not going to change,
so no stubs are created.

If you have NO address exclusion, and use positive oids, then yes, every
address discovered will result in a stub that gets checked daily to see if
it's oid has changed to something acceptable.

Detroit

Jim;

Be very careful in using OID's in your seed file.  When an OID is contained
in a
seed file, NetView will create a stub object in your database for EACH and
EVERY
device it finds on your network.  These objects are not real objects, but a
sort
of a marker telling NetView not to consider that device again in
autodiscovery.
Still, depending on the size of your network, you are talking about a very
huge
database just to keep all those stubs lying around.

If your going to use OID's, you might as well use only OID's.  That way,
you
will only discover the OID's in your seed file, and you don't have to worry
about IP address ranges at all.

But what I would do is try and document your hubs and add them manually
using
the loadhosts command.  We have found that if you can't define a range of
ip
addresses for a particular type of object, it is a big hassle trying to
keep the
NetView database clean of extraneous devices.

Art DeBuigny
Bank of America Network Operations
debuigny@dallas.net
art.debuigny@bankofamerica.com