Re: Unmanaged PCs turn up Managed every day???

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Unmanaged PCs turn up Managed every day???
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1999 09:49:09 -0500
Kiran, be sure and tell us what platform you are runnng on.

Netview does not (or is not supposed to) to this by itself. You may be
doing it
inadvertently by managing a higher-level object, like the network or
segment
that they belong to. Or you may have more than one map, and the user of
another map is managing them. If it truly is doing this, call Support.

I would take Dave's advice and not discover them if you do not intend to
manage them. Exclude as many as you can by address range in the
seedfile, and if that is not effective, exclude them by oid (on Unix):
!@oid 0                              # exclude non-snmp things
!@oid 1.3.6.1.4.1.311.*   # exclude Microsoft things

Stop netmon, find the things you don't want (a collection is a good way to
find them all at  once), Edit..Delete from all submaps; repeat on all maps
if you have more than one; wait for the deletion events to hit the events
display; ovtopofix -a; ovstart. And they won't come back.

Detroit

Kiran,

Either do one of two things:

1.  Exclude these PCs in the nvseedfile for discovery.
2.  If they have SNMP agents on the PCs, change the community string to
something other than public.

Dave

P.S.  I would recommend step 1 as the one to go with.