Re: Unmanaged PCs turn up Managed every day???

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Unmanaged PCs turn up Managed every day???
From: "Tremblay, David A." <dtremblay@JHANCOCK.COM>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 1999 13:15:02 -0500
I can only think of a few instances where this could happen so here goes:

1.  Is it possible that someone is using your read/write map and managing
these nodes on purpose but not knowing what he/she
is really accomplishing?

2.  Are you unmanaging these nodes in a Read Map and it's not writing the
changes because of that.  (That one is highly unlikely
since NetView shouldn't allow you manage/unmanage in a read/write map.

3.  Are you viewing a Read Map and you haven't performed a refresh on the
map?   Some changes such do not get propagated
to a READ map unless you refresh.

You can suppress discover of all devices on your network without an SNMP
agent by placing this as the first line of code in your
seedfile:

!@oid 0  #suppress discovery of objects without snmp agent

Our discovery process is quite complicated since we have it tied into a
customized series of scripts that passes information from
our inventory control program (currently command by Cambio) and what's in
our NetView databases.   It's quite a feat and I'm only
just beginning to understand it all since I've only been using Netview for 5
months now.

I hope the above information can give you better insight to your problem.

Good Luck!!

Dave

David A. Tremblay                               John Hancock Mutual Life
Insurance Co.
Lead Systems Analyst                    Enterprise Systems & Network
Management
                                                                200 Berkley
Street B-5
                                                                Boston, MA