Re: Virtual LANs

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Virtual LANs
From: "Joel A. Gerber" <joel.gerber@USAA.COM>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 09:37:47 -0600
You did not say how the traffic is being routed/switched from one VLAN to
another, so this "solution" may not apply to your environment.  We also are
using Cat5000/5500 switches to implement our VLANs.  We are using Cisco
routers to route between the VLANs.  The routers have a logical subinterface
configured in each VLAN, so on our NetView map there is a router interface
in every network icon corresponding to a VLAN.

If this doesn't work for your network, then another approach would be to
utilize more of the Cisco-specific information and tools, like the log
messages from the Catalysts, and/or CiscoWorks 2000 (Campus topology map,
User Tracking, VLAN Director).

Joel Gerber - I/T Networking Professional - USAA Information Technology Co.
- San Antonio, TX
* (210)456-4231         * mailto:Joel.Gerber@USAA.com   "
http://www.usaa.com