Re: Sending Interface Down & Interface up pages and correlation

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Sending Interface Down & Interface up pages and correlation
From: Matt Ashfield <mda@UNB.CA>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 10:49:04 -0400
Hi All,

This seems to be a very common question coming up. Correlating the Interface
Down and Interface Up traps during a specified time. Maybe someone who has a
working ruleset could post it to the forum? Just a thought, as this is a
common thing most people would like to do.

My way of doing things seems a bit convoluted now. I do the following:
- Check for interface down events. If no interface up trap is received after
x minutes, run a Perl script that sends an email and places that node in the
"down-database"
- Run a Perl script every x minutes that pings the nodes in the
"down-database". Presumably, each node in that database is still down. Send
an email stating that it is still down.
- For an interface up trap, run a Perl script that checks to see if that
interface is in the "down-database". If it is, send an email stating it is
now up, and remove it from the down-database.

I guess the only advantage to using scripts like I do would be that a notice
is emailed every x minutes stating that the node is sitll down (I vary the
notifications based on the criticality (is that a word?) of the node, and
the time of day).

Just my $.02

Matt
mda@unb.ca