Sending Interface Down & Interface up pages and correlation

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Sending Interface Down & Interface up pages and correlation
From: Patrick McNeil <patrick_mcneil@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 11:21:32 -0600
What we are trying to do is correlate the Interface Down and Interface Up
messages in Netview.  Are scenario is we want a page to go out if an
interface down message is received but an interface up message is not within
10 minutes.  I have that part working.

The part I don't have working is the opposite, sending the Interface Up
messages only when an Interface down message has been sent.  Below is a
(fairly bad looking) representation of our rules that I am trying to
Implement:

_________                __________                  _________
__________
| Event  |               | I - down|      Slot 1     | Reset  |            |
Page    |
| Stream |-------------->| Trap    |---------------->|on match|----------->|
Int down|
|________|               |_________|--               |___(A)__|
|_________|
    |                                 |                 ^
    |                  __________     |                 |
    |                  |I - Up   |    |     Slot 2      |
    ------------------>| Trap    | ----------------------
                       |_________|    |
                            |         |------------|
                            |                   ___|_____
__________
                            |      Slot 1       | Reset  |                |
Page   |
                            ------------------->|on match|--------------->|
Int Up |
                                                |___(B)__|
|________|

Both reset on Matches check for the Node name (Attribute 2) and the
Interface (Attribute 3.2 thanks to James) and holds the event for 10 minutes
before paging.  The following is what I get:
1) Interface Down but no interface up within 10 minutes --> I get Interface
Down page
2) Interface Down & Interface up within 10 minutes --> I get Interface Up
message No Interface down message.

Case 1 works fine, but Case 2 does not if I don't send an Interface down
page, I don't want to send an Interface up page.  What I believe is going on
is that the Rest on Match (B) does not start looking for an Interface down
until after the Interface up is received (i.e. it does not hold the
interface down in Slot 2 until Slot 1 is active).

I was wondering if this is the case or if this I a bug (we are currently
only running the 5.1.1 version, we will hopefully soon be applying the 5.1.2
patch since Y2K is finally over). Also, is there any way around this (short
of writing my own external program to correlate the events)?  I know there
was a way to query events in the TEC, but we are not using that product at
this location.

Any help in this matter would be appreciated.

Patrick