Re: MLM and TRAPD

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: MLM and TRAPD
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 07:23:31 -0500
All unsolicited traps go to 162/udp per the RFCs which define SNMP.  So the
answer to question 1 is that whomever   owns 162/udp gets all traps and thereby
has the chance to filter or determine what others see.  So you must set MLM to
forward what traps you want trapd to see to the port that trapd is now on.

There is no reason to set trapd to 165/tcp but I don't know that this will hurt
anything

 Status traps from MLM go to trapd but they are defined as Log only (unless you
change them) and when netmon gets these from trapd he issues the normal NetView
status traps, just as if he had done the status polling himself, and you do see
those.
Every time MLM is re-started he sends all new status traps on the devices he
monitors but netmon re-issues only those which represent a change, as he usually
does.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

Gregory Adams <gadams@US.IBM.COM> on 01/21/2000 06:56:38 AM