Re: Lobotomy

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Lobotomy
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 16:08:48 -0500
Sure.  But I don't see why exactly you are in such a hurry to blow the databases
away.  If you change the IP Address on your box and use the correct commands to
NetView (reset_ci) and to the Framework (odadmin), you should be able to start
right up and the only negative impact will be that your own box will be red for
awhile on the map.   You can always "blow them away" at a later time if things
don't resolve themselves.  That's the easy part -- you do it from SMIT or the
Tivoli desktop under  "Maintain -- Clear topology".   You could just as easily
delete the old NetView box from the map and let it get rediscovered.

If all your Framework is doing is acting as a front-end for NetView then you
should be able to take the quick and dirty way out:
(1) change the IP address on your box and in /etc/hosts or DNS.
(2) run   oserv -k $DBDIR -N by_name    to fix the oserv  (make sure you source
the Tivoli environment first)
(3) /usr/OV/service/reset_ci
These last two require that the hostname and the IP address resolve correctly so
don't try this if you haven't got that set up yet.  That was enough for me
(don't all you Tivoli Framework-literate people gag on how crude this is).

If your Framework is doing more than serving as just a means to launch the
NetView menus, then you should be more subtle about it.   Here's an example from
Mythili Kannan, who posted this a short while ago

- shutdown all the TMR clients using odadmin shutdown clients
- run the odadmin command to inform oserv of the IP address change:
  odadmin odlist change_ip "your new ip address" FALSE
- change the IP address in your /etc/hosts, DNS host map etc.,
- reboot the TMR server
- restart oserv using :
  oserv start 1
- if you encounter any problem in this step, synchronize the TMR server and
clients using:
  oserv -k $DBDIR -N by_name
(this assumes that your Tivoli env is set so that $DBDIR is defined.
- restart oserv on the clients using odadmin start clients

Consult the troubleshooting chapter of the Framework manual for more details

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

Steve Stamper <sstamper@FOREMOST.COM> on 01/24/2000 02:57:40 PM

      <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>