Re: Porting Map Customization to NV on another Subnet

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Porting Map Customization to NV on another Subnet
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 13:53:25 -0500
The answer depends on (a) what you are trying to accomplish and (b) how much
work you are willing to do.
The answer you got from Support assumes that you don't want to change the map
once it gets to the new box.  If you are willing to relax that assumption, then
what you want to do is feasible, and the procedure is exactly the same as when
you "port" the databases from a nearby NetView.

You must backup the entire /usr/OV/databases/openview directory structure on one
machine and ftp it to  the target.  And the target machine should already have
NetView installed at the same level, with all the same dependent products (or
you will be lacking symbols and your map will not come up) and the daemons
should be down.  You cannot transfer a map without the object and topology
databases which populate it.  At least netmon and snmpCollect should be down on
the machine you start from, and all GUIs as well.  If any process is writing to
the databases when you back them up, they could be corrupted.  How you back them
up is your choice.  On AIX you could use backup/restore, or tar, or pax.  If you
use tar to make an archive of the databases, and then you use tar to restore it
on the target machine, it will take up more space than it did on the original
machine.  To avoid this you can use pax to "untar" it.  For example:

pax -vf <filename>     (same as tar -tvf <filename>)   you can use pax or
tar to see the contents of your file

 pax -rp e -f <filename>  (like tar -xvf <filename>)         restore with
pax and don't forget the 'e' option to restore the permissions.

Once the databases is "restored" on the target machine, then you can just start
the daemons with ovstart and run /usr/OV/service/reset_ci.  After that you start
the GUI and open the map.  If you don't like what you see -- your NetView box
may not be where you want it -- then customize this map as well.  But the
majority of what you did before will be fine and still be there.

The reason you had so much trouble getting a definitive answer is that this is
WAY OUTSIDE the bounds of Support.  They cannot help you if you mess this up.
You are on your own here.  So the usual remarks about making backups and
proceeding slowly are in order.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

Lorraine Maher <lorraine_maher@HOTMAIL.COM> on 01/25/2000 11:40:33 AM