Re: AIX vs. Solaris

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: AIX vs. Solaris
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 14:52:07 -0500
I am an AIX bigot when it comes to system administration.  If you are used to
doing things with SMIT, you will hate Solaris.  If you want to learn how to do
many things the "traditional" UNIX way, by learning all the options on some
rather (incredibly ?) complex commands, then Solaris is for you.  And native
Solaris does not let you expand filesystem space on the fly.

My view is that anyone who makes this decision based on hardware cost is making
a big mistake.  In the long run hardware costs are the smallest part of the
equation.   Sys admin costs are the tough ones -- "machines are cheap , people
are expensive".

If you are asking which hardware platform is the "better" (faster?  more
efficient?)  in running this suite of products, Tivoli has done no platform
comparisons.  All the benchmarks we have done that I am aware of were done on
AIX, with an eye toward improving the software, so that it would run better on
any platform.   For the most part, we have seen little performance difference
between Solaris and AIX here.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

Bonnie Jundt <bonnie_jundt@MAIL.UND.NODAK.EDU> on 02/01/2000 02:12:42 PM