Ping via Web-Browser does not reach correct Router-Interface

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Ping via Web-Browser does not reach correct Router-Interface
From: Winfried Gehrig <Winfried.Gehrig@SKF.COM>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 14:58:23 +0100
Hello Netview-folks around the planet,

we are driving a Netview 5.1.2 /Optivity 8.1.1/AIX4.3.2-platform on our
wonderful
neverstopping IBM C10 from 1990 with installed WEB-Server for our Operating
using Internet-Explorer 5.00. The machine is also used as primary DNS-system.

Recently we found the following misbehaviour during an outage of a
Frame-Relay-link
on our Cisco-7507-WAN-Router:

The according subinterface-icon for a Frame-Relay-link went red on the
Netview-platform
and also on the attached WEB-Browsers a red icon came up for the subinterface.
The operator browsed down to the last map-level were all Router-interfaces are
represented
by one icon each.
He marked the icon "Serial4/0/5/" and tried to carry out a PING via the
DIAGNOSTIC-Button.
To his surprise he received an answer. But the answer came from the routers
locally
administered loopback-address !!

Trying to do the same on the GUI in TME10-Netview results in using the correct
IP-address of
the subinterface and the correct answer.

Does anybody know why I cannot Ping a subinterface of a router via the
WEB-interface and
ending up in always trying to PING the loopback-address ?
Has this something to do with our DNS-system ?
We have added only the Loopback-interface for name-resolution.
The intention was to reach the router in any case, independent of
interface-downtimes
and to reduce DNS-admin-time for adding and mantaining IP-addresses of
router-interfaces.

Any hint how to solve this is welcome.

                      ```
                     (o o)
Winfried Gehrig         mailto:Winfried.Gehrig@skf.com
SKF GmbH                FON  ++49(0)9721 56 3077
Schweinfurt     Virtual FAX  ++49(0)9721 5663266
(Germany)
Our bearings turn the planet
http://www.skf.com