Re: Ping via Web-Browser does not reach correct Router-Interface

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Ping via Web-Browser does not reach correct Router-Interface
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 09:45:23 -0500
You are right. I believe that for all diagnostic functions on the V5 web
interface you must enter the IP address that you wish to interogate if it
is
other than the one that the name of the node resolves to. This is a
limitation
of the web client.  The whole diagnostics dialog is quite separate from the
map, and there is a field for you to enter the address you mean to
diagnose.
It is a bit misleading that you can launch it from any symbol on the map.

You are certainly getting your money's worth out of that C10!

Detroit

Hello Netview-folks around the planet,

we are driving a Netview 5.1.2 /Optivity 8.1.1/AIX4.3.2-platform on our
wonderful
neverstopping IBM C10 from 1990 with installed WEB-Server for our Operating
using Internet-Explorer 5.00. The machine is also used as primary
DNS-system.

Recently we found the following misbehaviour during an outage of a
Frame-Relay-link
on our Cisco-7507-WAN-Router:

The according subinterface-icon for a Frame-Relay-link went red on the
Netview-platform
and also on the attached WEB-Browsers a red icon came up for the
subinterface.
The operator browsed down to the last map-level were all Router-interfaces
are
represented
by one icon each.
He marked the icon "Serial4/0/5/" and tried to carry out a PING via the
DIAGNOSTIC-Button.
To his surprise he received an answer. But the answer came from the routers
locally
administered loopback-address !!

Trying to do the same on the GUI in TME10-Netview results in using the
correct
IP-address of
the subinterface and the correct answer.

Does anybody know why I cannot Ping a subinterface of a router via the
WEB-interface and
ending up in always trying to PING the loopback-address ?
Has this something to do with our DNS-system ?
We have added only the Loopback-interface for name-resolution.
The intention was to reach the router in any case, independent of
interface-downtimes
and to reduce DNS-admin-time for adding and mantaining IP-addresses of
router-interfaces.

Any hint how to solve this is welcome.

                      ```
                     (o o)
Winfried Gehrig         mailto:Winfried.Gehrig@skf.com
SKF GmbH                FON  ++49(0)9721 56 3077
Schweinfurt     Virtual FAX  ++49(0)9721 5663266
(Germany)
Our bearings turn the planet
http://www.skf.com