Re: Problem...

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Problem...
From: Jim Kellock <jkelloc@ibm.net>
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2000 21:12:48 -0500
This is a discovery problem.  You probably have unmanaged interfaces on
your router in the IP map.  To check, to a Locate for Selection Name or
Attribute->IP address, pick an instance from the list that has "Segment"
in the description, and open it.  There's a button on the screen to do
this.  You should then see an icon/symbol for your router.  Double-click
on it so see the interface map.  How many interface objects are there?
Is it the correct number for ip addresses (primary and secondary) on the
router?  WHat color are they?  If they are tan colored, they're
unmanaged.  Use menu from RMB pulldown or select an unmanaged interface,
and use Options->Manage from the menu.  You should then have the router
object in the subnet corresponding to the ip address you've managed.

Then there's the managed/unmanaged status of the segment itself. Netmon
will find the interface on the router, and create the subnet object, but
won't populate it if it's unmanaged. And you may need to look for any
seedfile restrictions on discovery.  From your description of the
problem, it sounds more like you are not using a seedfile and you've
found the router on your local subnet, but the remote interfaces are
coming up unmanaged because of the "first hop" restriction on discovery.

There's also the possibility that you don't have SNMP correctly set up
for the router, and the SNMP poll for him failed, so he'll only have a
single interface in the interface map.  If this is the case, case your
community name setup.

Thre straight line you're seeing is just an ethernet segment with
nothing discovered on it.

Hope this helps.  You ought to read all of the documentation seedfiles
and discovery.