Re: Remote Access / Web Access

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Remote Access / Web Access
From: "Joel A. Gerber" <joel.gerber@USAA.COM>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 10:41:03 -0600
X-Windows CAN be a workable solution IF you:
1) get as much bandwidth as you can, try DSL, cable-modem, ISDN, etc.  Don't
try anything less than 56Kb.
2) customize the GUI startup to only open the windows that you need.  For
example, we have the Copyright, Navigation Tree and Control Desk windows all
turned off.
3) don't use background files on your submaps

Even if you do all of the above, it will still be slower than in the office.
But if it saves one of your support people a 30 minute drive to work, then
it should be worth it, even if it takes five minutes to get NetView up and
running (which is about how long it takes me at home over a 56Kb dialup
using Hummingbird eXceed 6.1).

Web access IS better than X-Windows, but the R/W map rqmt. is not going
away, so if you can't solve that one at your site, then you're stuck with
X-Windows.

Here's a "workaround" to the R/W map problem.  If you dial-in from home, and
find that there's no R/W map running, you can start one on the NetView
server (or any X Server) remotely from home.  Just TELNET to the NetView
server.  Set the DISPLAY variable to where you want the NetView map to run
(e.g. export DISPLAY=10.1.2.3:0).  Then run the "netview" command.  That
should start the NetView GUI on the remote server you set in the DISPLAY
variable.  Then you should be able to start the web interface from home.

Joel Gerber - I/T Networking Professional - USAA Information Technology Co.
- San Antonio, TX
* (210)456-4231         * mailto:Joel.Gerber@USAA.com   "
http://www.usaa.com