Re: Remote Access / Web Access

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Remote Access / Web Access
From: Don Sykes <dsykes@INTERPATH.COM>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 23:14:07 -0500
Speaking from a remote access point of view, performance using Citrix to
display NetView maps and Events is a great improvement over using X over
dial-up connections to display the map and events window.  Over a 64K ISDN
dial-up (my home connection at the time), starting the NetView map using
Reflection X loaded locally on my PC took about 6 minutes.  Even with a 128K
ISDN connection this process takes about 5 minutes.  The same task using a
Citrix connection takes less than 2 minutes.  Drilling down to sub-maps (we
have customized ours heavily) also performs much better using the Citrix
connection.  I don't have any comparisons for running NT Terminal Server on a
low end machine and I definitely would not advise anyone to use a connection
speed less than 56Kbps if you need to use this connection for long periods of
time.  To run an X emulator locally on a PC would need at least 256Kbps to
operate well in my estimation.

>From a LAN connection, I would definitely recommend using X directly if its
>available.  I often use Reflection X loaded locally on my PC at work to
>display the NetView map and to use other various tools.  This works pretty
>well on the LAN.  I think you hinted at using an actual X-terminal or other
>true Unix machine and I would recommend that solution on the LAN above any
>other for LAN attached machines.  An X emulator will never match the
>performance of a true X system on a Unix platform.

I have considered trying Linux on a spare hard drive at work to see how it
performs but I haven't had the chance yet...

So in summary,  to do remote management of a network using NetView on Unix,
you can expect pretty good performance if you place NT Terminal server on a LAN
segment and make your remote access connection via Citrix.

Sorry for the rambling but I hope this helps.