Re: trap daemon: can it receive SNMPv2 and SNMPv1 traps?

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: trap daemon: can it receive SNMPv2 and SNMPv1 traps?
From: "Rauwers, Laurens" <rauwers@HITT.NL>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 09:17:17 +0100
James,
Thanks for the directions you gave me.
I think that we can conclude that trapd can receive v2 traps.
The $G(generic trap type) and the $S(specific trap type) were correctly
presented. So was the $1.
The $S is packed in another way in v2, so trapd can handle that.

I your discussion with Bob Natale you said:
>but I frankly don't see any real reason, as opposed to an academic one, to
go
>from the a4 structure to the a7.  Yes, it normalizes the SNMP PDU
structure,
>but that doesn't do the user any more good, so far as I can see.

The reasons for changing to v2(and someday to v3) are not always technically
driven.
Customers are requesting systems build according the latest specifications.
As a supplier you have to follow, whether you like it or not.

Laurens Rauwers
HITT