Re: Re.TELNET ALERT

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Re.TELNET ALERT
From: "Boyles, Gary P" <gary.p.boyles@INTEL.COM>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 08:50:38 -0800
If you have trap-forwarding setup... then an "Authentication Failure"
trap should be sent if they fail to log-in.  I can't remember if you
can setup authentication for someone trying to log in.

Once they have logged in... various "syslog" messages can be looked at.

On your system, I've built a "logfile-agent" that looks at logfiles
(the syslog in this case), and sends a trap out when a string is
encountered.

I'm not sure if there is a "someone just telneted into the system" message,
but there is one for configuration-change (SYS-5-CONFIG)... which I do use
because I want to know when the config has changed, and who did it.

A logfile-agent is handy... because there are lots of useful info in
the syslog (fan-failed, power-supply failures, etc).

Regards,

Gary Boyles, Intel