Re: Re.TELNET ALERT

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Re.TELNET ALERT
From: "Boulieris, Arthur" <Arthur.Boulieris@NZ.UNISYS.COM>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 16:31:27 -0600
I dont think "Authentication Failure" Is for incorrect login attempts but is
snmp community names. Some users like to play with there desk top and enable
SNMP with the default community name which gives the "Authentication
Failure".
The only trap for telneting that Im aware of is a "tcp connection close"
trap when the session is ended (which includes 3 bad password attempts. Or a
"config trap" which is when someone does a sh run or changes the config.
Neither of these traps shows the source IP address which seems a little
useless.
Does any one know if there is a trap $VARIABLE so as to display the source
IP adress in Netview, or if you can initiate a trap for telnet bad
passwords?

Thanks Arthur