Re: New hardware planning

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: New hardware planning
From: James_Shanks@tivoli.com
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 10:49:43 -0500

Whether the hardware supports 64-bits is irrelevant so far as I can see.  You
don't need that much precision for NetView, and it runs just fine on an F50.
What is important in the hardware decision is how many processors you have, how
fast they are, and how much memory you need.

There are sizing considerations in the back of the NetView Installation manual
you should look at to see about memory, and the rule about processors is the
more the better, so long as they are fast (an F50 is better box than a J30
because though an F50 has only 4 processors versus the J30's 8, the J30
processors are only something like 83 MHz while the F50's are 233 MHz.  The F50
is the performance platform of choice the last time I heard a recommendation
from Tivoli Performance.

But I am not familiar with the 44P.  To evaluate it you should compare
processors and memory.

And you will also have to get memory  requirements for Cisco works and the other
Tivoli products you need to run.  Best rule of thumb I ever heard was:
"Determine how much memory you think you will need, double it, and add 20 per
cent".  The second best one I ever heard was "Buy as much as you can afford.
You cannot be too rich or too thing or have too much memory."   :-)

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX and NT) L3 Support

"Bonnie Jundt" <bonnie_jundt@mail.und.nodak.edu> on 03/15/2000 10:32:19 AM