Re: segment Icons disappearing

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: segment Icons disappearing
From: lclark@us.ibm.com
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 09:07:09 -0500

First, copying databases: if the ip addresses of the two Netview's are
pretty close, eg on the same subnet, you can tar up
/usr/OV/databases/openview
and move that over. Install it using the pax command instead of tar,
though:
 pax  -rp  e  -f  <sourcefile>
Do this as root with everything shut down.
Then on the receiving machine, do /usr/OV/service/reset_ci to correct
identity
problems, and use the mapadmin command to force correct ownership of the
map(s).

Second: Netview is a bit fastidious about duplicate IP addresses, which is
what
you are really talking about. It does make allowances for the case where
one of
those interfaces is administratively down, but it usually takes a couple of
configuration polls for netmon to accept it. It works best if it discovers
the node
with the UP interface first.  And when it is a serial interface, remember
that it
will be trying to draw the network (on the IP Internet level of the map) as
a straight
line rather than as a bubble, so you need something on the other end for it
connect to. It will also help if you do NOT have name resolution on that
duplicate
IP address. That will only confuse netmon.

Detroit

On one of my backup netview servers, I have two cisco 7513's with several
serial interface. One router has the active serial and one has a backup
that
is administratively shut down, both serials have the same IP. The problem
is
that the IP segment icon will only draw a line to one router and some times
it the router with the administratively downed interface. I have done
demand
polls on both routers in various order, have deleted the router interfaces,
ran ovtopofix -a, cleared the arp-cache on the routers etc. trying to
resolve a two way connection between the routers and the IP icon. Has
anyone
else had this problem with routers with mirror interfaces? Any suggestions?
I am running NetView 5.1.1. with a seedfile and all the router interfaces
are listed, and new node discovery is turned on.

My primary Netview server has resolved the connections, not sure how. So, I
was thinking of copying over the databases to the backup server to resolve
the inconsistences.  I believe this is possible, but can some explain which
databases should be copied and the proper sequence so, I don't dork it up
worse.
Much Thanks,
Jeff W.
Sr. Network Architect