RE: Loading cisco mibs

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: Loading cisco mibs
From: lclark@us.ibm.com
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 08:55:27 -0500

Short answer, no. You cannot do logic in the display field. You can replace
the #* or whatever is in there that is giving you
ciscoEnvMonVoltageStatusDescr=+12.00
ciscoEnvMonVoltageStatusValue=11336
ciscoEnvMonVoltageState=2
 with something like
  Voltage event: Change: $1; Value: $2; State: $3
but you cannot evaluate the value '2' and have the event display 'Normal'
or whatever it means. That remains as a training issue. If there is a
different
trap sent for 'going bad' versus 'getting better', then you can change the
severity of the trap and give the operator a clue by the color of the event
in the events display. But the meaning of such state variables is different
from trap to trap and is not available programmatically. The only other
option would be to call a script, evaluate it yourself, and generate a
different trap or take another action.

Detroit

Thanks to those provided input on loading cisco mibs and building traps,
even though my question was mostly lost in the debate regarding the netview
complier. I have worked through the compile problems and have used the
addtrap command, along with the addtrap scripts from cisco site, and am now
getting a simi proper trap.
I would like find out how to make the trap more descriptive.
I.E. I am receiving a voltage alarm from one of my routers, the trap comes
in as "trap received from enterprise cisco with 3 arguments:  \
ciscoEnvMonVoltageStatusDescr=+12.00
ciscoEnvMonVoltageStatusValue=11336
ciscoEnvMonVoltageState=2
I can walk the MIB and identify that ciscoEnvMonVoltageState=2 means
warning. But is their a way to make the arguments correlate to the actual
meaning upon being received in the event window. So, instead of coming in
saying State=2, that the State is a warning or critical etc, and can this
be
done for other traps as well.
Thanks,
Jeff W.