Collections Problem

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Collections Problem
From: "Jewan, P. (Pritesh)" <PriteshJ@nedcor.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 16:42:05 +0200
Hello People,

We have built a collection called 'Marginal Devices' for the support desk.
The rules of the collection states that if a device becomes marginal or
critical then that device must be part of the collection. The rules are as
follows:

'IP Status' = Critical
        or
'IP Status' = Marginal
        and
'isNode' = TRUE

The collection seems to work fine however sometimes there are devices that
are part of the collection but are green is colour. If we try pinging all
the interfaces and demand polling the device, according to netmon,
everything is up. However if we display the devices object properties, the
'IP Status' field is marginal even though all the interfaces are up. My
understanding for the device still been in the collection is that nvcold
reads the object properties of which the IP Status is marginal and therefore
places it in the collection according to the collection rules. If netmon has
demand polled the device and knows that all the interfaces are up why has
the object database still got the device as Marginal and this condition
stays this way for upto 2 days sometimes. Does anyone have any ideas on
where the problem might be and how can I trouble shoot where exactly in the
process the ovw database should be getting updated and why it isn't ?

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Regards
Pritesh Jewan
ESM - Technology & Operations Division
Nedcor Bank Limited (South Africa)