RE: Interface Availability on Routers

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: Interface Availability on Routers
From: elig@bezeq.com
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2000 11:42:53 +0200
You might need to adopt a "reactive" approach.
The routers will send Netview interface-down traps if you configure your
SNMP statements properly. You can then run an automatic script based on
these traps, to store the information and process it later to make it
presentable in WEB format. This way, you save all the extra polling traffic
volume.
--------
Eli Gal - elig@bezeq.com <mailto:elig@bezeq.com>
Bezeq - the Israeli Telecommunications Corp.
Ramat Gan, Israel
tel: +972-3-5.763.763
mobile: +972-50-665493
fax: +972-3-5.763.793

        From:    Ken Guettler <Ken.Guettler@maryville.com>
        Subject: Interface Availability on Routers

        Does anyone have suggestions on providing interface availability
data for
        Cisco routers.  The remote polling from NetView has not been very
accurate
        due to heavy network traffic and router utilization.  We get 3-4
false
        outages per day on the heavily used links.  We have NetView v6 and
        CiscoWorks 2000 Resource Manager Essentials installed on an NT
server
        monitoring the 20 our so routers in the network.

        Ideally I would like to be able to create a nice report (web
enabled) with
        the interface availability information.  Any suggestions?

        Ken Guettler