Re: Changing status of an Object

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Changing status of an Object
From: James_Shanks@tivoli.com
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 18:29:23 -0400

Ken -

I doubt you will think I am  "d'man" after I reply here.

The status trap will alter  perceived status on the map, by changing the map
database, but it will not alter the actual status of the object in the object
database.  Not knowing anything aat all about HAVIEW, I don't know if this is
important or not.
The purpose of it was to alter object you created in the database which did not
have "real"  IP status set by someone else.

I know of no way at all to change a Selection name in the object database. This
field is unique and is set only once when the object is discovered, which is why
you must delete and re-discover an object if you don't like what you get.   I
don't know how you could change it.  What's more  I am completely confused about
your icons with different names all representing the
same object with the strange Selection name.  I don't understand what you are
telling me.  Probably because I don't understand what HAVIEW is putting on the
map.

In short I can't quite follow your description though that is probably my fault,
and the best I can do for you, is to show you how the status trap is used in
other cases and let you try to figure out what to do in your case.   You can
always ask more questions, too, if you like.

Suppose you wanted to include in a node's propagated status that some software
application was up or down.
The you would go to the interface level of that node and create a software
object on the submap using Edit -->Add from the
map.  Give it some unique name, such as "node_name:app1" -- here I am even
naming it like an interface, and make sure it has a Status Source of "Object".
Then  you send your trap in  using the snmptrap script  with the originating
node as "node_name",  the object name as "node_name:app1", and the status as one
of the standard values.  This cause this
new object to turn the appropriate color on the map, and the parent node to
change color also if the newly propagated status from below warrants that.

Hope this helps (but I doubt it).

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX and NT) L3 Support

Ken Garst <Ken.Garst@kp.org> on 05/24/2000 04:48:51 PM