Re: Netview for OS/390 and Netview for AIX

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Netview for OS/390 and Netview for AIX
From: lclark@us.ibm.com
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 22:01:12 -0400

Well, there is a genalert function on Netview/390 that sends snmp traps
made out of the sna alerts, but when they get to Netview for Unix, the
content is not very usable because it does not get translated. There used
to be an application packaged with Nways called Alertman which
handled them, but I don't believe that is available any longer. Another
way to receive them was directly over an sna connection, but that involved
two or three additional products and I don't recommend you go there
either. Unless you are already running SNA on your AIX systems.

If you have a T/EC in your environment, I understand that there is an
adapter for Netview/390 that forwards selected sna alerts to T/EC.
That is the recommended solution these days, I believe. T/EC is the
Manager of Managers, and the Netview's are element managers, so
to speak.

In the absence of a T/EC, the quick&dirty solution would, I suppose, be
genalert over an IP connection from 390 to Unix, with the loss of most
of the code points, but recognizable enterprise, generic, and specific
values, and probably at least part of the message. Format them yourself
in trapd.conf. You will need the assistance of your Netview/390 systems
programmer to configure this on the host end.

Detroit
---------------------- Forwarded by Leslie Clark/Southfield/IBM on

Juan Echevarria Lopez/Spain/IBM@IBMES@tkg.com on 06/06/2000 12:30:07 PM

Sent by:  owner-nv-l@tkg.com