Re: Netview for OS/390 and Netview for AIX

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Netview for OS/390 and Netview for AIX
From: Bill Evans <wvevans@prodigy.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 19:23:03 -0400
NetView for OS/390 1.3 and 1.2 with certain recent fixes adds two additional
services to the Event Automations Services component.  These are Trap to Alert
and Alert to Trap.  Alert to Trap will convert the alerts to SNMP traps and
forward them as directed in the configuration file in DSIPARM.

The problem which remains is the absence of SNA objects in the NetView for
Unix/NT data base.  I haven't investigated but suspect they will be posted to
the IP address of the NV for OS/390 node.

The other direction is a relative piece of cake;  using MultiSystemManager for
IP you send the traps via NV390 to RODM and they are extracted by GMFHS and
the NetView Management Console will display both universes using a
server/client combo on a rich combination of Unix and NT platforms.

You aren't the first ot want to do this but the issue is one of passing a very
rich topology data construct (RODM topology) to a much less capable system
(the OpenView topology base of NetView).  You still can't carry ten pounds of
flour in a five pound sack and no one has been able to justify the cost of
migrating RODM to Unix (assuming no technical show stoppers).

Investigate the MSM and NMC solution (it's all part of NetView 390 so it costs
nothing extra) and what you can do with EAS Trapalrt.  Ignore the part about
using TEC and look at the parts mentioning NETCONV.  I hope you can find
something to satisfy you.  If you have further questions please contact me
directly.

Bill Evans  (wvevans@prodigy.net)