Re: forcing autodiscovery to use loopback address

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: forcing autodiscovery to use loopback address
From: Ray Schafer <schafer@tkg.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2000 14:07:58 +0000
"Lemire, Mark" wrote:

> [...]

> 2. Your suggestion of adding all loopback addresses in the seedfile in
> interesting.  Through our batch process, we can add all loopback addresses
> for routers that are "staged" in the inventory; i.e. about to be added to
> the network.  If a device comes online sometime after Netview startup, will
> netmon always prioritize using a seedfile address to discover an object,over
> and above its normal SNMP discovery process?  If so, that sounds like a
> great interim solution until a better implementation can be built into
> Netview.

Well it depends.  First of all you have to have netmon configured to use a
seedfile.  If you have that, then it only reads it when it starts up, or when
you tell it to (by typing netmon -y on the command line or choosing
Backup-Reread seed file (or some such) from the GUI Menu).  If you have
discovery on, and you are managing the network that contains the new router, it
will discover it.  If you want to control this, turn discovery off, and either
use loadhosts to add the new router, or put it in the seedfile and run netmon
-y.

> [...]

> PS:  I know this has been asked before, but is there any scripted way to
> safely *delete* an object from all related databases?  I know there exists
> (or used to exist) several undocumented comands like ovwdbdmap -d and
> ovtopofix -r, but I having once corrupted the database using these, I have
> shied away from them.  The ability to delete objects is the one thorn in our
> side that prevents from automating much of the map maintenance and we'd LOVE
> to have a way to do this!!

The best way is the supported way, which is to delete it from all the maps.  If
that doesn't do it, it could still be in the database because of an application
field is set or something.  If you have such an application, the object must be
removed from the application as well.  If you see any nodes whose selection
name starts with "REMOVED", you probably have fields that are defined by an
application.

--
Ray Schafer                   | schafer@tkg.com
The Kernel Group              | Distributed Systems Management