forcing autodiscovery to use loopback address

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: forcing autodiscovery to use loopback address
From: "Lemire, Mark" <mlemire@jhancock.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 15:58:11 -0400
I'm trying to find a way to force Netview (v. 5.1.1) to autodiscover devices
through their loopback address wherever one is defined.  The loopback we are
interested in is not the 127.0.0.1 address, but the configurable loopback
interface on (Cisco) routers.

The way we have Netview configured, it will autodiscover an object -- say a
router -- through some arbitrary IP interface.  If that interface is later
moved to another device, the next time Netview demand polls the router
object using this interface, it is really polling a different router and
this leads to problems.   The only stable interface we can use is the
loopback address.

In situations where a known router needs to be discovered, we can place the
loopback address in the seedfile.  However, we don't always get notified
when a new router is about to be added, and therefore need a way to drive
the autodiscovery process so it effectively does the same thing.

The use of circuitless IP and loopback addresses is widespread, so we're
hoping someone else has found a way to do this.  The alternative is to
manually go in and delete newly discovered routers when they are not
discovered correctly, add the loopback to the seedfile, and rediscover.  (PS
Is there any way out there to automate the deletion of objects without
having to go through the GUI?)

Thanks!!

Mark Lemire