One Router, Multiple Interfaces Displaying Multiple Router Icons.

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: One Router, Multiple Interfaces Displaying Multiple Router Icons.
From: "Ken Karasek" <KGKARASE@hewitt.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 15:38:10 -0500

Hello all,

I am running NV v5.1.2 with AIX 4.2.1. I have noticed for some time that NV is
displaying our Bay routers on the maps with multiple router icons. There is only
one router per office with at least three interfaces. One LAN, one WAN, one ISDN
backup (AD). I am using a seed file that has the IP address of the LAN interface
listed since it's more likely a WAN interface will go down vs. a LAN interface
and I didn't want the entire router to turn red for a WAN link going down. There
are also DNS names for each router, but only assigned to the WAN interface
address. Not that it matters, but the DNS does not reside on the same machine as
NV.

Why is/would NV display multiple router icons for the same single router? I have
deleted/rediscovered and ran the database cleanups. This is quite
confusing/frustrating for our Command Center folks when it come to identifying
problems with a router. Is there a configuration change(s) that I can make to
correct the discovery/display?

Thanks.