RE: One Router, Multiple Interfaces Displaying Multiple Router Icons.

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: One Router, Multiple Interfaces Displaying Multiple Router Icons.
From: "Jim Carey" <jim.carey@tivoli.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 08:56:44 -0400
Leslie,

I think the WAN problem implied in this message is one that is also fixed in
NetView 6 with the SNMP based status polling.

For complex devices, such as ATM devices, multiple virtual networks are
often modelled as multiple interfaces.  Upon discovering any interface,
NetView proceeds to configure the device using SNMP and findss all of the
other interfaces.  Because each interface is logically on a different
network, an ICMP Echo request (PING) fails to all of the interfaces except
for traditional LAN interfaces and the WAN interface first discovered.  PING
can't be routed between different virtual networks.

This would result in a situation where a router would look yellow all of the
time (even when functioning fine) and RED whenever the single good
connection was dropped for any reason.

In NetView 6, we've addressed that with the SNMP status polling.  The same
channel used to find the device originally (in this case a WAN interface) is
used to query the SNMP Agent for interface status which is synthesized into
overall host status.  Two good things happen from this:
1) the status is consistently reported more correctly (green when it should
be).
2) Failure is more predictable, although you would still want to probe it
through the most reliable interfaces on the device.

This is the only thing I can think of related t this.

-jim