Re: Location of NetView icon.

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Location of NetView icon.
From: lclark@us.ibm.com
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 18:00:44 -0400

Ok, so I got dressed and drove into the office just to check this out. I
have a clean
install of V6.0, and a non-root user with its own Desktop with only the
NoticeBoard and
the NetViewServer icons on it. As root, when I use the context menu to look
at the
Administrator, I have:
Properties:  Label= Leslie_NV; User Login Name= root; Group Name=bin
TMR Roles: senior only
Resource Roles: none set in any of them
Logins: lclark@igloo
Notice Group subscriptions: none.

Logging in as lclark and launching this desktop, using the context menu,
I could:  change netmon parameters, clear the database, restart all
daemons, start map.
I could do none of these except start the map from the commandline.
>From the map launched from the tivoli context menu (ie it is running as
root without me
needing to know the root password), I could:
Launch and use serversetup to configure things, which I could not do from
the cmdline.

Other functions available to me on the Desktop? I did not seem to have
enough
permissions to do anything.  So on the simplest level, this is a way to
give the
network administrator some power over Netview without giving him full root
access,
and without making it easy for him to mess up the rest of Tivoli.

Of course Martin is right, there are Tivoli commands you can execute via
the CLI with
the Senior role that could get you into trouble.  (Not as many as with
Admin, tho.)  And having
the server icon in a Policy Region (V5) did give you another layer of
control. You cannot,
I found, copy it into a Policy Region.  So if you intend to use Tivoli
policies as your security
mechanism, you will not be happy. If you feel strongly about having it
moved back,
you could make your case via the requirements mechanism (ie your Tivoli
rep).

I'm sure the reason the product developers do not pay more attention to
this move
is because, as far as they know, Netview is generally used directly, from
outside of the
Tivoli environment. And because, as James has reminded us here before, you
need
root access to a lot more stuff than just what you find under serversetup
to run this
thing.  And you don't need any Tivoli roles at all to do any of this.  I
only use the method
above with those customers who severely restrict access to root on all
machines. This
method cuts down on the calls to their Unix administrators some, once the
initial install,
configuration, and verification are completed.

Detroit

Martin Walder <martin.walder@itmasters.com>@tkg.com on 07/05/2000 07:56:29
PM

Sent by:  owner-nv-l@tkg.com