Re: Réf. : [NV-L] Netview Rules Question

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Réf. : [NV-L] Netview Rules Question
From: "Gavin Newman" <NEWMANGJ@banksa.com.au>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 17:00:23 +0930
Thanks for the answers

Re question 1, if I test for isRouter I will not get the devices in the
collection that are not routers.
Basically I want devices in the collection (including some which are routers)
to go down one path and other routers (but not those in the collection) to go
down the other path. I can send the collection stuff down the right path by
testing for the membership of the collection but I am worried that devices that
are in the collection and are routers may also go down the isRouter path of the
logic. To stop that should I put a test in that path that tests that the device
is not a member of the collection?

Cheers - Gavin

>>> <alexis.henry@bnpparibas.com> 31/07/2000 16:38:02 >>>

>>1) you can do it this way testing iRouter.

>>2)  Also is there any way of adding some notation to a device in the
database
for classification. The case I am thinking of is that we have a number of
devices that are seen as critical backbone devices but they do not exist in
any
specific address range nor do they have any identifying component of their
name
to work on. At this stage my kludge is to add the value isBloodyImportant
in the
CorrStat1 field and have a collection based on this value. At this stage it
works - is this the only way of doing this or is there some magic trick I
haven't cottoned on to yet?

You can do it adding a field in the ovw database. To do so make a new field
file
in /usr/OV/fields/C. Have a lookto other files in this directory.
After this run ovw -fields, then your new field file is added and
isBloodyImportant now exists in ovwdb. You have to run
/usr/OV/conf/nvdbtools/nvdbimport to set this file to true or false for
each
device. In your field file you should set this field to false in order to
set it
to true with /usr/OV/conf/nvdbtools/nvdbimport only for your few critical
devices.

>>3)) Is there any write up on the rules and rules engine that is more
in-depth
than the Admin manual anywhere?

I don't think so. You may find some examples in "Examples Using Netview for
AIX
Version 4" on IBM redbooks (www.redbooks.ibm.com).

Hope this help.

Alexis Henry
Banque Nationale de Paris

NEWMANGJ@banksa.com.au on 31/07/2000 08:11:29

Veuillez répondre à nv-l@tkg.com

Pour :    nv-l@tkg.com
cc :   (ccc : Alexis Henry/DOSI/BNP)
Objet :   [NV-L] Netview Rules Question

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Ce message et toutes les pièces jointes (ci-après le "message") sont
établis à l'intention exclusive de ses destinataires et sont confidentiels.
Si vous recevez ce message par erreur, merci de le détruire et d'en avertir
immédiatement l'expéditeur.

Toute utilisation de ce message non conforme à sa destination, toute
diffusion ou toute publication, totale ou partielle, est interdite, sauf
autorisation expresse.

L'internet ne permettant pas d'assurer l'intégrité de ce message, BNP
PARIBAS (et ses filiales) décline(nt) toute responsabilité au titre de ce
message, dans l'hypothèse où il aurait été modifié.

-----------

This message and any attachments (the "message") are intended solely for
the addressees and are confidential. If you receive this message in error,
please delete it and immediately notify the sender.

Any use not in accord with its purpose, any dissemination or disclosure,
either whole or partial, is prohibited except formal approval.

The internet can not guarantee the integrity of this message. BNP PARIBAS
(and its subsidiaries) shall (will) not therefore be liable for the message
if modified.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I have anumber of questions re Netview rules (NV 5.1.2) - can anyone help
please??

1) When writing a rule in Netview using the GUI (is there a better way?)
what
happens in the following situation...

I have a collection of devices, some of which have isRouter set and others
do
not.

In my rule I have a path of execution that depends on isRouter being set
and I
want to add a different path of execution for devices in the collection
mentioned above - I do not want these devices to be handled by the isRouter
path..

Obviously some of the devices in this collection will match both paths, in
this
case what happens to the event, does it go down the first path found (which
is
the first path?) or does it go down both? In this case should I prefix the
isRouter check with a check for !isRouter?

2) Also is there any way of adding some notation to a device in the
database for
classification. The case I am thinking of is that we have a number of
devices
that are seen as critical backbone devices but they do not exist in any
specific
address range nor do they have any identifying component of their name to
work
on. At this stage my kludge is to add the value isBloodyImportant in the
CorrStat1 field and have a collection based on this value. At this stage it
works - is this the only way of doing this or is there some magic trick I
haven't cottoned on to yet?

3) Is there any write up on the rules and rules engine that is more
in-depth
than the Admin manual anywhere?

Any help on any of the above would be greatly appreciated - Cheers, Gavin

   *****   IMPORTANT INFORMATION    *****
This document should be read only by those persons to whom
it is addressed and its content is not intended for use by
any other persons. If you have received this message in
error, please notify us immediately. Please also destroy and
delete the message from your computer. Any unauthorised form
of reproduction of this message is strictly prohibited.
Bank SA is not liable for the proper and complete transmission
of the information contained in this communication, nor for any
delay in its receipt.