Trap queue buildup

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Trap queue buildup
From: "Rama, R. (Reggie)" <ReggieR@nedcor.co.za>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 10:10:41 +0200
Hello All Netviewers

We are currently running AIX 4.2.1 and Netview 5.1.2 on a F50 (4CPU & 1GB
RAM) and we are experiencing the following problem.

Over the past few days we have noticed that we receive the following message
within the trapd.log file "netmon-related Application reached maximum number
of outstanding events, disconnecting from trapd". The trapd buffer size to
32000 .i.e. trapd -b32000.We are receiving about 4 of these messages per
hour daily now.

When we monitor udp port 162 using the netstat -an command, we find that the
receive queue builds up to approx 32000 and it sits at this value for a few
minutes and then only does it get cleared and starts it building up again. I
have looked at all the various Netview configurations and they all seem OK.
I have searched the Netview Archives and could find a suitable reply for the
questions I have.My questions are :-

 1. Are there application(s) that are not reading the traps from the queue
fast enough that is the cause of the problem.
 2. When we get the above message, does it mean that all the traps that were
on the queue are discarded (lost).
 3. How does one determine which application(s) are not reading the traps
from the queue and are the cause of the problem.
 4. How does one determine / verify that traps are not being lost .i.e how
does one verify if the data within trapd.log is correct.
 5. Also, we have made no changes to the system at all recently. Are there
any external changes .i.e.many more traps from devices that can cause this
to occurr.

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

Regards
Reggie Rama