RE: ARP cache retrieval?

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: ARP cache retrieval?
From: Sean Davidson <sean.davidson@mail.publix.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 08:45:37 -0400
If it's a Cisco router running the appropriate IOS, you can use the SNMP
view command to
limit the router from forwarding his ARP cache. I had a similar problem on
one of my core routers.
Do to the way we route between two AS's, I've got a router with 34000 ARP
entries which take
appx 45 min for NetView to pull (NetView and router are on same 16MB TR).
CPU on the router
goes to 95 to 100% during that time.

Anways, here are the Cisco commands:

snmp-server view noarp iso included
snmp-server view noarp mib-2.3 excluded
snmp-server community public view noarp RO

The first line says to include everything. Second line says to exclude the
address
translation table (ARP). Third line actually applies that list.

Thanks,
Sean Davidson

Sr. Network Systems Engineer
Publix Super Markets, Inc.