Re: NT and Tecad

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: NT and Tecad
From: James_Shanks@tivoli.com
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 10:57:58 -0400

I'd say you need to re-open your problem with Tivoli and get them to look more
closely at the Dr. Watson's you are having.
We have no known Dr. Watson issues with the old, that is 5.1.3, tecad_nv6k.exe,
reported.  It has been running in our Verification labs for months.  I tested it
a few times myself.   I have not run it on a V6 box however.   We would not
normally do that.

As far as V6 goes, that was a different story.  If you are running V6 and have
problems, then Tivoli Support should be able to provide you with a copy of the
one that will be shipped in 6.0.1.  Fixes were made to the 6.0 code and the
resulting new  one has been blessed by Verification and by some other customers
already.

In general, you usually cannot solve Dr. Watson's by yourself.  They represent
unforeseen events that the code cannot handle.  Once in a while you might be
able to avoid them by not doing something, so that the unexpected condition does
not occur, but in this case, probably not.  My guess is that some trap comes
through to be forwarded and the config you have set up causes some part of the
code to be executed you have no control over.  You could try looking at the log
and the event browser and see if you can determine what trap that is and then
changing your config to avoid it, but that's about all.  But that's just a
guess.  No one can debug your problem with looking at your logs and traces and
the Dr. Watson.

James Shanks
Team Leader, Level 3 Support
 Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT