Re: Ruleset - refreshing

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Ruleset - refreshing
From: James_Shanks@tivoli.com
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 09:14:01 -0400

Hmmm.  I don't know exactly why you had this problem, but the ruleset editor GUI
is an X-application, and as such it can take awhile to update.  I have seen
cases where people have made changes to complex rulesets accidentally and then
exited before the GUI could catch up and re-draw what they had done, and so of
course, their changes were saved unwittingly.  But for six nodes, I am mystified
as to how this could occur.  However, there is an easy way to avoid the problem.
Just pull down the "Edit" menu and select "Refresh layout"  before you exit.  On
the refresh, the file and the GUI are synched, so what you see before you leave
is what you get.

You might also notice that the way the thing works under the covers is that when
you start your edit session of an existing rule, it makes a backup copy of the
ruleset "xxxx.rs.BAK"  and also a temp copy "xxxx.rs.<random_chars>".   The
temp copy is, or should be, erased, if you save your changes and exit the GUI
normally.  If you cancel the edit session it stays around, just filling up the
directory.   On the next edit, the old BAK file is removed and the current rs is
used to make a new one.  If that didn't happen, or if someone played re-name
games after the last edit, you could get your old version back.  Just a thought.

James Shanks
Team Leader, Level 3 Support
 Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT

"Gavin Newman" <NEWMANGJ@stgeorge.com.au> on 08/02/2000 02:43:11 AM