Re: Which daemons to stop for backup

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Which daemons to stop for backup
From: "Bernard Disselborg" <BDISSELB@triple-p.nl>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 13:12:16 +0200
Thanks Leslie,

I suppose your second suggestion is the more *tricky* one, users should not
touch the map and so on...
I guess the safest way to perform the backup is to stop the GUI and do a ovstop
ovwdb and let the users restart the GUI afterwards. In this case the 24 hours
support people will use the TEC console and TSD as their primary interface.

Thanks,

Bernard

Bernard Disselborg                      Triple P Nederland B.V.
Consultant                      Enterprise Management
e-mail: bdisselb@triple-p.nl            PO Box 245
tel:    +31 (0)347 353317               4130 EE  Vianen
mobile: +31 (0)655 833355               The Netherlands

>>> lclark@us.ibm.com 08/23/00 05:06PM >>>

You are right, you don't need to stop them all. Since you are only
backing up the databases, you don't need to stop trapd and friends.
If you stop ovwdb, these others will fall down as well:
 nvcold, netmon, ovtopmd, ems_log_agent, ems_sieve_agent, and snmpCollect.
That leaves everyone involved in event processing up and running.
After your backup, a single ovstart will get them all going again.

Now, I will go out on that limb and say that if you are trying to automate
this, and have maps open at the time, but are not doing any cut/paste,
I would just stop netmon, do the backup, and restart netmon. Restarting
the maps is too much trouble.  Support will be horrified, so every once in
a while you ought to do a nice through shutdown and make a backup
that will make them comfortable. But I take backups (and restore from
them) all the time with everything up and running.

Detroit

"Bernard Disselborg" <BDISSELB@triple-p.nl>@tkg.com on 08/23/2000 10:21:19
AM

Sent by:  owner-nv-l@tkg.com