Re: Restore Object DB

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Restore Object DB
From: Gareth_Holl@tivoli.com
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2000 16:37:19 -0400

You should probably be restoring the /usr/OV/databases/openview directory (all
three databases together). I don't backup /usr/OV/databases because it includes
the snmpCollect data files which can be quite large, particularly if you backup
frequently. You can backup your snmpCollect data separately and less frequently.

Typically I would back up NetView's Object, Topology, and Map databases, plus
some configuration files as follows (this example only shows a backup to a local
file system - substitute for your preferred archive mechanism):
cd /usr/OV
tar -cvf /backup/OV-files.tar databases/openview/ conf/ app-defaults/

To restore the databases and config files from the local file system:
cd /usr/OV/
[The following step adds an extra degree of safety as you can always move
"openview-date" back to "openview"  if your restore fails.]
mv databases/openview databases/openview-date       (eg. openview-09092000)
pax -rvf /backup/OV-files.tar -pe

At this point, I would restart netview (without netmon running) and let the maps
synchronise. Then you should close the GUI and run the database maintenance
utilities to ensure database consistency:
ovmapcount -a > /tmp/mapcounta.txt
ovmapcount -b > /tmp/mapcountb.txt
ovtopofix -A 2>&1 | tee topofix.txt
[You should check for errors and take appropriate action, such as removing
symbols from the map(s) if they are reported as not existing in the object
and/or topology databases]

Enter "ovw &" to start the NetView GUI.  Note:  DO NOT start netmon at this
time. Wait for the topology and object databases to sync up with each other.
This step usually takes longer than usual (after using the ovtopofix utility)
but it is an important part of the process. Now enter "ovstart netmon" to start
the netmon daemon. You should be good to go.

Please note this is my working process and it may not necessarily be the best
possible method. You should also refer to the NetView Install and Configuration
Guide because I think it may provide a procedure for backup and restore ??

I hope this helps,

Gareth Holl
Software Engineer
Olympics Advocate
gholl@tivoli.com

Tivoli Systems / IBM Corporation
Research Triangle Park,  NC  27703.    1-800-TIVOLI-8

Jean.M.SCHMIDT@odot.state.or.us on 09/08/2000 05:58:29 PM