Re: Restore Object DB

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Restore Object DB
From: lclark@us.ibm.com
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 08:41:46 -0400

See Chapter 8 for info on database maintenance, and Appendix G
for info on compression of the regular form and the turbo form
of the Netview flat database files. Gareth's instructions cover
the salient points of Chapter 8, and look good to me.

If your Netview is the only Tivoli thing on the system, a standalone
TMR, you probably don't need to do the wchkdb -u reqularly. I do it
once after everything is installed, and do the Tivoli backup of the
TMR (on the Tivoli desktop, Desktop, ..Backup).  The Tivoli database
won't be changing in this case.  In a full-blown Tivoli environment,
these steps are normally run on a very regular basis.

There is a backup menu on the context menu of the Netview icon, which
is probably what you are referring to, and Gareth's instructions
manually perform the most useful parts of that function. You MUST keep
all of the files under /usr/OV/databases/openview backed up together.
If you have added third-party products that update the database, you
should probably also back up symbols/C, fields/C, and bitmaps/C.

Then there is the matter of compression. Compression, especially for
rather large networks, ought to be done regularly as well. How you
do this depends on whether you are running the turbo form or not.
Read more about it. It's best to compress before it gets too big
to compress!

As for frequency, it does not hurt to maintain the database this weekly.
Certainly take the backup after you are happy with how the map looks,
and after any major changes, or after compression. And if you ever do
a restore, be sure to take a new backup after everything resynchs.

In addition, a bootable backup of the entire system is in order (mksysb
or sysback on AIX). I don't know how you do that on the other operating
systems, but at least think about transferring your Netview database
backups off to another system or medium.

(248) 552-4968 Voicemail, Fax, Pager

"Gavin Newman" <NEWMANGJ@banksa.com.au>@tkg.com on 09/11/2000 02:01:55 AM

Sent by:  owner-nv-l@tkg.com