RE: Monitoring unnumbered serial interfaces when the remot e device is n

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: Monitoring unnumbered serial interfaces when the remot e device is not managed
From: lclark@us.ibm.com
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 08:05:16 -0400

Well, it will use snmp to monitor unnumbered, but you have to get it to
discover
them first. And it still won't draw an unnumbered interface if it can't
find the other
end of the connection. In Niko's case, the other end is not
snmp-accessible. And
if it were, it also suffers from mismatching name resolution between the
router
and the management station, something the CDP method requires. There are
also
some sublties that I have not gotten clear on yet, like, will it draw the
card if the
other end is absent but name resolution for CDP is OK, and will it draw the
card
if you put the loopback of the near router in the seedfile as $ for forced
snmp
polling. Questions for the edges of the map...

Detroit

"Boyles, Gary P" <gary.p.boyles@intel.com>@tkg.com on 09/08/2000 10:50:34
AM

Sent by:  owner-nv-l@tkg.com