Antw: ObjectName

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Antw: ObjectName
From: "Michael Seibold" <Michael.Seibold@gek.de>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 10:47:03 +0200
Hi Takahiro,

Netview normally uses the first ip-interface it sees. This may be the first in
the list you see using the mibbrowser, but normally it is the one "nearest" to
your Netview-machine. If the router has an interface in the same ip-segment as
your management-station, this address should be the one you see as the label in
Netview. If you do a traceroute to all three interfaces of router2 in your
example you should see that the one which was used as label has less hop's than
the others. But, if your network is more complicated, it may also be one of the
other interfaces, depending on the order in which the discovery-process found
the devices. So if you want to be sure what you get you can either define a
management - IP-Segment (by example using loopback-addresses), which is often
difficult to do (maybe you are not allowed to configure routers), or you can
add them using the loadhosts-command, using the ip-address you want to be
displayed as the label.

Michael Seibold
Gmünder Ersatzkasse GEK

>>> kommy@imasy.or.jp 13.09.2000  17.16 Uhr >>>
Hello all,

Please tell me the rule of object naming.

There are many routers in our network. NetView can discover all of our
routers, but I can't predict the object name which is discovered by
NetView.

For example, Router1 has 3 Ethernet interfaces:

        Interface0/?    10.194.40.1
        Interface1/?    10.195.50.254
        Interface2/?    10.196.40.254

And Router2 has 3 Ethernet interfaces too:

        Interface0      10.194.40.2
        Interface1      10.197.100.254
        Interface2      10.198.101.254

The object names are "10.194.40.1", "10.198.101.254" respectively.

There are no IP addresses of routers in /etc/hosts on NetView server.

My Environment:
        NetView for UNIX ver 6.0 + NLS (Japanese)
        J-Solaris2.6 HW5/98 + latest recommended patch cluster
        Tivoli Framework 3.6.1 + NLS

        /etc/nsswitch.conf
                hosts:  files

Thanks in advance,