Re: Private Interfaces are bouncing

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Private Interfaces are bouncing
From: lclark@us.ibm.com
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 21:06:22 -0400

The problem with the adaptive polling is this: you, the customer, know that
certain circuits are often slow to respond and set a corresponding longer
timeout/retry. Netview manages to sneak a few pings by quickly and on
its own initiative shortens them. Then normal network traffic kicks in and
you get a false alarm. The map turns yellow and somebody gets paged,
and none of this was documented and you cannot figure out why your
change in the timeouts is not always effective. I for one am delighted
that this mysterious behavior is being changed. Personally, I suspect
nobody could remember why it was put in there. Probably some
customer asked for it. Hope it wasn't you....;)

Detroit

"Ken Karasek" <KGKARASE@hewitt.com>@tkg.com on 09/19/2000 06:30:20 PM

Sent by:  owner-nv-l@tkg.com