Private Interfaces are bouncing

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Private Interfaces are bouncing
From: "Thomas Kunz" <t-kunz@admin.ndis.umn.edu>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 11:34:41 -0500
Hello -

We have NetView 5.1.2, AIX 4.3.1 and Framework 3.6.1.
We have Solaris boxes and AIX boxes that are multihomed that have at least
one public network interface and one private network interface. What I am
noticing is that on the Solaris boxes only Netview is reporting that the
private interfaces are going down and then up at about 14-15 minute
intervals. The interface will change from green to red and the trapd.log
says that it went down, however it really does not. We can continue to use
it even when Netview says that it's down?

Tue Sep 19 10:48:58 2000 kettle.oit.umn.edu        N Interface qfe1 down.
Tue Sep 19 10:48:58 2000 kettle.oit.umn.edu        N Node marginal.
Tue Sep 19 11:03:08 2000 kettle.oit.umn.edu        N Interface qfe1 up.
Tue Sep 19 11:03:08 2000 kettle.oit.umn.edu        N Node Up.

Another odd thing is that we still have a Netview/AIX box running Netview
Version 3 that also monitors these same Solaris boxes but does not see the
same bounces. Has anyone seen this before?
Thanks in advance.

Thanks and have a great day!  :-)
Tom Kunz
OIT/CCO Network & AIX Systems Support
University of Minnesota
1300 S. 2nd St.
Mpls., MN. 55454-1083
Suite 660
Phone: 612-624-8086
Fax: 612-626-1332
Email: t-kunz@cafe.tc.umn.edu

This e-mail and its attachments have been scanned for viruses.