RE: Unreachable Status.

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: Unreachable Status.
From: lclark@us.ibm.com
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 19:29:24 -0400

See below.  I of course think you ought to just upgrade and try it.
You can always turn it off.

Detroit

"Boyles, Gary P" <gary.p.boyles@intel.com>@tkg.com on 09/20/2000 10:30:51
AM

Sent by:  owner-nv-l@tkg.com

To:   "'IBM NetView Discussion'" <nv-l@tkg.com>
cc:   "Boyles, Gary P" <gary.p.boyles@intel.com>
Subject:  RE: [NV-L] Unreachable Status.

Leslie,
Thanks for the help.  Three more questions (I'm still
confused about a couple of items)...
1)  If the router-interface goes down, and a server
    on that subnet is polled (normal polling cycle),
    will I receive an "Interface Down" event?
> Not unless you have some other way to get to that
> subnet. Like another router whose interface on that
> subnet is up. The normal polling cycle, as you call
> it, does not apply. You should not be able to reach
> the server, whether it is up or down, if no router
> has an interface up on that network. However, there
> is a known phenomenon when you have not discovered
> and mapped all of the routers on that subnet, and
> it is marked unreachable, but you still have some
> unknown (to netview) path to it. This unexpected
> ability to reach the subnet causes rapid status
> changes - like a blinking xmas tree. Normally the
> philosophy is that when the subnet is occluded, we
> must make no assumptions as to the state of the
> other nodes on that subnet.

2)  If the subnet is still unreachable, and I force
    a poll (e.g. demand poll), will this generate
    any additional event?
> Don't know.

3)  If a node (server) has two NICs, and is on two
    subnets... but one subnet goes unreachable -- will
    I get a "node unreachable", "node marginal" +
    "interface down" ... or something else?
> Don't know.

Again, thanks.  Your explanations have been a big help.
They should be rolled up and put in the NV documentation
(really... they should).

Regards,

Gary Boyles, Intel